Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My Holiday Program

Every time I go on holidays I pack a resistance band and an exercise plan that I can do every day and that I can do in a hotel room. Here's this holiday's exercise plan:

WARM UP (about 10 minutes)
Range of Movement hip and shoulders (limbering up exercises)
30 squats (butt to ground and at a fast tempo)
15 'YTWL' each side with no weights - (lots of different ways to do YTWL. I do one arm at a time and load up by stepping forward into a deep lunge, sweeping my arm out in front; then in a flowing movement stepping the foot behind to stand up and bringing the arm up to form the letter) - very aerobic.

CIRCUIT (3 - 15 minutes, depending on how many rounds completed)
1 minute rounds of:
Burpees (with push-ups. I always do my burpees with a push up)
Inverted rows or resistance band seated rows
Bicycle crunches

COOL DOWN (5-20 minutes, depending on how much I want to stretch)
Stretching of tight muscle groups (for me it's usually piriformis, hamstrings, calves, ITB, pecs, delts, levator scap and upper traps)
I start with dynamic stretches then do static stretches for any muscles that haven't released.

I never skimp on the warm up even if I only do 3 minutes of circuit and I always stretch for at least 5 minutes afterwards.

I'll also try to fit in a few runs (Jacob's ladder in Perth is a fantastic stair run), walk everywhere, go for a swim, fit in a few saunas (a proper hot and steamy Finnish sauna around 70-80 degrees C), get a massage, eat well, sleep well and have lots of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter